Food labelling requirement 2014
From 1st April 2015 country of origin labelling became mandatory for fresh, chilled and frozen meat from pig, sheep, goat and poultry.
What is food labelling?
• Food labelling contains information provided by food businesses about their products
• It covers all food that is sold to the consumer directly as well as food sold to cafés, restaurants and other catering establishments
• It is controlled by law so it is accurate, not misleading and safe
Why is it important?
• It educates the consumer about the food they buy
• It helps consumers to make informed choices
• It helps consumers to store and use the food safely
Country of origin or place of provenance becomes mandatory on a label if the name implies that the food comes from or has been made in a different country to where it was produced.